Faculty of Computer Science (New Building), Universitas Indonesia, Depok, Greater Jakarta, Indonesia
All SEAMLS participants are welcome to use the buses we provide.
From the hotels to the venue:
Tuesday 9th - Friday 12th July 2019:
- 8.30 am: Bus leaves The Margo Hotel
- 8.45 am: Bus makes a short stop at Favehotel Margonda. Please be ready.
From the venue to the hotels:
- Monday 8th July 2019: bus leaves from the venue at 18:00
- Tuesday 9th - Friday 12th July 2019: bus leaves from the venue at 19.00
We will have some optional sessions after the main session for each day. If you are interested to join the session, please arrange the transportation back to hotel by yourself. No shuttle bus provided after 18.00 (Monday) and 19.00 (Tuesday onwards).
Currency and Exchange Rate
The Indonesian currency is the Indonesian Rupiah (IDR), with an exchange rate of 1 USD = ~15,000 IDR as of early June. Please note that IDR usually has a very bad exchange rate abroad. We therefore recommend bringing commonly used foreign currencies (typically USD, but AUD, SGD, EUR, and GBP are also widely accepted with fairly good exchange rates in money changers across Jakarta) to Indonesia, and exchange the currency to IDR once you arrive in Jakarta. There are various money changers at Soekarno-Hatta International Airport (CGK; Jakarta's main airport), but typically the exchange rates are worse than in money changers outside the airport.
Debit or credit cards (typically Visa and Mastercard) are largely accepted at shops and restaurants in the mall, but they are not usually accepted for taxi payment or meals at the university canteens or streetside stalls. We therefore recommend carrying enough IDR in cash for such purposes.
You can withdraw IDR from with a Visa/Mastercard debit card on any ATM with a Visa/Mastercard logo. Below are some money changers near the event venue (please check their rates before exchanging the money, and verify that you have received the correct amount before leaving the money changer):
- Sentral Utama Valas ($UV) Money Changer; Jl. Margonda Raya (Next to BCA Bank / across Dmall); (+6221) 7720-7128 or (+6221) 752-1693
- T$V Money Changer; Jl.Margonda Raya No.222A (Next to Mandiri Bank) ; (+6221) 7721-0646
- Cash Exchange; Margo City Floor LG; (+6221) 2904-9346 or (+6221) 2904-9357
- Dolara$ia; Jl. Margonda Raya (across KFC Margonda); (+6221) 2271-3824 or (+6221) 2271-3894; open on Sunday and holidays
- Rajasa Money Changer; Jl. Komjen. Pol. M. Jasin (Akses UI) Kelapa Dua; (+6221) 8770-3710 or (+6221) 8770-4231
Please do not drink the tapwater. Bottled mineral water is available for sale everywhere for < 0.5 USD.
International flights typically arrive at Soekarno-Hatta International Airport (CGK) in Tangerang, Greater Jakarta. The easiest way to get from the airport to Depok (where the event will be located) is by taxis, which will take 1-1.5 hours depending on traffic (could be more during weekday rush hours). The taxi cost will be roughly 20-30 USD (300k-450k IDR), including the toll road fee. We advise SEAMLS participants to find fellow participants with similar travel schedules on the mailing list/Facebook Group in order to share the taxi cost from the airport to Depok. We strongly recommend participants to only use Blue Bird Group (https://www.bluebirdgroup.com/) and Express Group (http://expressgroup.co.id/expressweb/) taxis. Ride-sharing options are also widely available, such as from our Sponsor GO-JEK (please download their apps beforehand).
Please note that most taxis do not accept card payment, so travellers will have to pay the IDR amount in cash. The only exception is the premium Silver Bird Taxi, which accepts card payment but is more expensive than regular taxis. There are also public transportation options from Soekarno-Hatta Airport to Depok, but they generally take much longer and are somewhat hard to navigate for non-Indonesian speakers.
Participants travelling by train will typically arrive at Gambir Railway Station in Central Jakarta. Taxis from Gambir Station to Depok would take around 1 hour (can be more during weekday rush hours), and cost around 15-20 USD (200k-300k IDR). There are also public transportation options, which similarly take much longer and can be hard to navigate for non-Indonesian speakers.
There are several accommodation options in Depok. None of the hotel options are inside the Universitas Indonesia campus, where the event will be located. While some of these options might be within walking distance to the event venue (the closest one is a 23-minute walk), we advise participants to use taxis or ride-sharing apps (our sponsor GO-JEK has various ride-sharing options through their app) to travel between the hotel and the event venue. The accommodation price ranges from 30-80 USD per night depending on the hotel. If needed, we advise SEAMLS participants to find fellow participants to share a hotel room. Some of the hotel options are listed below:
- The Margo Hotel (closest to the event venue, 23-minute walk, and very close to Margo City, which is the biggest mall in the area)
- Savero Hotel Depok
- Favehotel Margonda Depok (budget hotel)
- Hotel Bumi Wiyata
- Hotel Santika Depok
Other options are available, such as through AirBnb and our sponsor Airy Rooms. Student participants who were awarded accommodation as part of the travel grant will be allocated rooms at The Margo hotel.
Check-in Time and Arriving Early
Check-in time at The Margo Hotel (where student participants who were awarded accommodation will be staying) is at 14:00 (2 PM) local time, on Sunday, July 7th 2019. For participants who are arriving on Saturday (July 6th) or very early in the morning on Sunday, one option is to book their own accommodation for one night between Saturday and Sunday.
Some hotel options near Soekarno-Hatta Airport (non-exhaustive, please double check the price for your date; prices range from 25 - 70 USD per night depending on the hotel):
- Jakarta Airport Hotel (the only hotel directly inside the airport, located in terminal 2E)
- Ibis Budget Jakarta Airport
- Amaris Hotel Bandara Soekarno Hatta
- Bandara International Hotel by AccorHotels
Alternatively, participants can also stay between Saturday and Sunday in Depok (hotel options as mentioned above).
- Sushi Tei Margo City (inside Margo City Mall). Japanese/Sushi (around 10-15 USD per person). Margo City Lt. 1 (first floor), Jl. Margonda Raya No. 358, Depok City, West Java, 16424. (+62)21 78870840. 10 AM - 10 PM.
- Milan Pizzeria Cafe Depok. Pizza/Italian (around 3-5 USD per person). Jl. Margonda Raya No. 514, Depok City, West Java, 16424. (+62)21 78883789. 10 AM - 10 PM.
- Warung Pasta Depok. Italian (around 3-5 USD per person). Jl. Margonda Raya No.518, Pondok Cina, Beji, Depok City, West Java, 16424. (+62)21 78882366. 11 AM - 12 AM.
- Abuba Steak Depok. Steak (around 7-15 USD per person). Jl. Margonda Raya No.334, Kemiri Muka, Beji, Depok City, West Java, 16424. (+62)21 22373646. 11 AM - 10 PM.
- Hanamasa Margonda Depok. Japanese/All You Can Eat Shabu & Yakiniku (around 15 USD per person). Jl. Margonda Raya No.223, Kemiri Muka, Beji, Depok City, West Java, 16423. (+62)21 77804440. 10 AM - 10 PM.
- Rumah Lobster Depok. Seafood/Lobster (around 10-15 USD per person). Jl. Margonda Raya No.177c, Kemiri Muka, Beji, Depok City, West Java, 16423. (+62)21 78520758. 1 PM - 11 PM.
- Mang Kabayan. Sundanese/Traditional Indonesian (around 5-10 USD per person). Jl. Margonda Raya No.488, Pondok Cina, Depok, Pondok Cina, Beji, Depok City, West Java, 16424. (+62)21 78886688. 10 AM - 9 PM.
- Shirin The Arabian Resto. Middle Eastern food (around 5 USD per person). Jl. Pesona Depok Estate No.1, Sukmajaya, Pancoran Mas, Depok City, West Java 16412. (+62)877-8514-7587. 11 AM - 11.30 PM.
- Uncle K. Malay/Singaporean food (around 5 USD per person). Margo City, Ground Floor, Jl. Margonda Raya, Beji, Depok City, West Java 16412. (+62)21-29049269. 10 AM - 10 PM.
- Mang Engking. Sundanese/Traditional Indonesian and Seafood (around 10-15 USD per person). UI Campus, Jalan Danau Salam, RW 03, Srengseng Sawah, Jawa Barat 16424, Indonesia. +62 816-1117-751. 10 AM - 8.30 PM.
- Yoshinoya. Japanese Beef Bowl (around 3-5 USD per person). Margo City 2nd Floor Unit F21, Jl. Margonda Raya No. 358, Depok City, West Java, 16424. +62 21 29049216. 10 AM - 10 PM.
- Sate Khas Senayan. Traditional Indonesian (around 7-10 USD per person). Jl. Margonda Raya No.194, Kemiri Muka, Kecamatan Beji, Kota Depok, Jawa Barat 16423, Indonesia. +62 21 77212078. 8 AM - 11 PM.
- Bakmi GM. Indonesian Chicken Noodle (around 3-5 USD per person). Margo City, 2nd Floor, Food Court, Jl. Margonda Raya, Beji, Depok. +62 21 29049336. 10 AM - 9.30 PM.
- Marugame Udon and Tempura. Japanese Food (around 7-10 USD per person). Margo City, Ground Floor. Jl. Margonda Raya, Beji, Depok. +62 811-3483-514. 10 AM - 10 PM.
- Shaburi Shabu-Shabu. All You Can Eat Shabu (around 15 USD per person). Margo City, 1st Floor. Jl. Margonda Raya, Beji, Depok. 021-78870911. 10 AM - 10 PM.