Southeast Asia Machine Learning School
July 8-12, 2019
Southeast Asia Machine Learning School (SEA MLS)
Application is now closed. We will notify applicants of the outcome by May 20th 2019 the latest.
The Southeast Asia Machine Learning School is a five-day event where participants have the chance to learn more about the current state of the art in machine learning and deep learning, including relevant applications to data science, computer vision, and natural language processing.
Dates: July 8-12, 2019
Venue: Faculty of Computer Science (New Building), Universitas Indonesia, Depok, Greater Jakarta, Indonesia (location)
Why Southeast Asia?
At 640 million people, Southeast Asians constitute nearly 10% of the world’s population. Nevertheless, Southeast Asians remain extremely underrepresented in machine learning and artificial intelligence. Data from the International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML 2018), one of the two biggest conferences in machine learning with more than 5,000 attendees, suggest that fewer than 0.5% of ICML attendees are from Southeast Asian institutions.
To this end, the SEA ML School aims to kickstart an effort to inspire, encourage, and educate more machine learning engineers, researchers, and data scientists within the Southeast Asian region in the coming years. As artificial intelligence and automation are predicted to transform the labor market in the near future, we work toward a critical vision of more Southeast Asians as pioneers, contributors, and shapers within the artificial intelligence community.
The SEA ML school will include the following sessions:
- Lecture sessions from top machine learning experts and invited speakers (both basic and more advanced topics will be covered);
- Interactive practical sessions where participants have the chance to directly try out and implement models described in the lectures;
- Panel sessions with machine learning researchers, practitioners, industry leaders, and government representatives about current challenges in AI;
- Research presentation sessions where participants showcase their past work and projects to get feedback from fellow participants and invited speakers; and
- Social events with our valued sponsors as prospective employers.